Decorative rocks are one of the most common landscaping methods to make your yard look beautiful! Despite being common, ingenuity can easily make your lawn stand out as mainly aesthetic with the help of decorative rock.
Make sure that you get your decorative rock from a quality store such as Wondertote, where we can guide you towards the best kind of decorative rock for your landscape project.
Types of Decorative Rocks that You Need to Know
Several types of decorative rocks are available, and each is best suited in specific cases, depending on the exact layout, design, and plants on your yard. The main ones that you need to know about before making a choice are:
- River Rock: River rocks are almost the same as pea gravels insofar as their texture is concerned, but they are significantly larger. These are primarily used for building borders around garden paths and fountains.
- Pea Gravel: Pea gravels, as already noted, are similar to river rocks but are much smaller. These are one of the most versatile types of decorative stones in the sense that they can be used to make almost any part of your lawn more attractive. However, one thing to keep in mind with pea gravel is that these tend spread, and therefore it is essential to set up proper boundaries to ensure that they remain in place. Wondertote provides you with beautiful and quality decorative rocks that are bound to make your home stand out.
- Flagstones: Flat rocks, often also called flagstones, are yet another variety mainly used to cover areas in your lawn. These are excellent choices for making pathways and can particularly go well with river rocks when the latter is used to define the boundary of the paths. Flat rocks are also available in several colours and are used widely to beautify gardens.
- Boulders: Boulders are an exciting choice to go for when it comes to your lawn. They come in all shapes and sizes and are much larger than other decorative rocks, which gives your property a sense of spaciousness. Some experts also recommend defining the boundary of your lawn with boulders instead of regular fencing, something that might look aesthetic if executed flawlessly.
- Lava Rock: Lava rocks are yet another choice that is particularly popular. These are also available in several colours and are usually used to cover significantly large areas of your lawn. These often act as a replacement for using concrete on your property because of their strength and the fact that it’s a lot more beautiful. So, if you’re planning to set up a distinct area within your lawn, lava lock is a great choice to go with to ensure that you can make your garden as beautiful as you want it to be.
How to Choose the Perfect Decorative Rock?
The perfect type of decorative rock depends on the exact lawn in question. With a little bit of research, it is possible to easily choose the decorative stone that will make your yard stand out. The main things you need to keep in mind are:
- The Shape and Size of your Lawn: The shape and size of your lawn are the main factors that determine which type of decorative rock would be more suitable for your yard. Naturally, boulders taking up a vast majority of the space with smaller lawns would not be a recommendable option.
- The Utility Factor: The next thing to consider is the utility you seek to get out of your decorative rock. Pea gravel and river rocks are among the best for pure decoration purposes. However, they cannot replace Flagstones, which are the best choice if you want to use decorative stones in laying down the paths in your garden.
- Budget: As always, the budget is the final thing to keep in mind. The cost of the stone is an essential factor, and the amount of investment you are making has to be kept in mind. You might also want to keep in mind recurring expenses. For example, if not contained, pea gravel would end up spreading, and you might have to get more of it down the line. However, flagstones or boulders are a one-time investment and might be worth spending a little extra on.